As a teen mother, you will be responsible for another human being. This will require you to grow up a lot very quickly, and so it’s important for you to become responsible for yourself as well as your baby.

If you’re going to function as an adult in the world, there are some things you will absolutely need from the very beginning.

Certified Copy of Birth Certificate

Your birth certificate is a form of identification and proof of United States citizenship that you will sometimes need to show in order to get other things, such as welfare or a driver’s license. A certified copy of your birth certificate is a copy that has been legally approved as being accurate and real (as opposed to possibly made up or fake if it’s just a regular old copy). You may need to pay a small fee in order to get a certified copy of your birth certificate if your parents don’t have or refuse to give you one. See the link in the panel on the side for more information.

Social Security Card

Your social security card is official document showing your unique identification number as a United States citizen. You will certainly need to know your social security number when applying for a job or trying to rent an apartment, and there may be times when you also need to show the card itself. If your parents don’t have your social security card or won’t give it to you, see the link on the side panel for information on how to get one.

State I.D. or Driver’s License

This is the most important and most often used form of identification you will need. Unfortunately, it will be difficult or even impossible for you to get either without help from your parents if you are under eighteen. Check with your state’s Registry or Department of Motor Vehicles for more information.


In adult life, you will often be asked for several forms of identification. For instance, it’s necessary to have two forms of identification in order to start at a bank account. A passport is a good form of identification to use for this sort of thing. Also, it will mean that you will be able to legally travel to other countries. If you are under eighteen, you will need the help of a parent. If you are eighteen or over, check the link in the side panel for more information on getting a passport.

%d bloggers like this: